Exponential East 2016: Breakout Session 3- Creating Systems that fuel a Leadership Movement Daniel Im (Director of church multiplication. Background church planting and multi-site)
New churches.com create resources, knowledge and experience to help new churches
What are the characteristics that make up a great team? (collaborative list not exhaustive)
- Growing together
- Clear roles
If you know your enemy you will be 50% better but if you know yourself you can get the other half.
What would happen if we spent an equal or greater time understanding ourself or our own unique type of learning.
***When you look at leadership as a team there are 3 types of teams…which do you resonate with the most?
– Gymnastics team. Wins by individual performance. In a team competition it is the collective score. Have you ever been in a team meeting where the. Team was like a gymnastics team? Someone talks and others are not engaged.
– Surgeon team. Surgeon says give me a scalpel and they do it. 1 person in control type of team and everyone else is there to support.
– Hockey team. Who ever has the puck is in control. The goalie is in control when he has the puck. It is a shared ownership and leadership.
So which type of leader are you?
(This is why some people plant churches)
What do you like the most and what are you actually are of these three teams?
- Different gifts
- All necessary
- Play your part
- End purpose focused
- Maturing through exercise
Every leader goes through three movements…
- Discovering Christ- dependent
I am not on the throne but lord Jesus is
- Discovering Leadership- independent
So many people have trouble transitioning because they are no longer in control
- Discovering Equipping- interdependence
To be here someone believed in you and equipped you to get here
***In order to create a leadership movement in the church you need to get to the point where you are an equipper, if you are not, you will never be able to create a leadership movement!
You don’t want to parent 1,000 children but have 10 kids who has 10 kids
Walk through an audit…
Pipeline and competencies
(Only goal today is to walk away and do something different)
- Application forms…kids, students, groups, missions, etc (columns across top) Are there application forms.
- Are there job descriptions?
- Is there a time commitment?
- Orientation do you train standardized curriculum or training?
- Ongoing training?
- If we don’t have a process like this then we begin to look for people like us and are not addressing our blind spots.
Be a leader for 1-year. Do you want to try leading a group fro 6 months or 1 year?
Give a clear out. At the end of the year you have to follow up. I know it’s been a year do you want to keep on serving?
Ministry area needs assessment: how many do you have in each of the following areas…
- Ministry director (leader of teams)
- Senior leadership
Coach level added in for churches over 1,000
Pipeline and competencies overview
- People development
- Ministry-specific competencies
Partners16 for a 15% discount