Intro: Who, What & Why
Those won to Christ through the group/1st timers/New Christians
-Many have no idea their design is to be grafted in to community
-We win them into community, individualism and its effects has become a part of who we are.
-We are part of the most powerful organism in the universe
What’s Our Role?
1. Grow in the Gospel!
“Likewise, the deeper I go into the gospel, the more I comprehend and confess aloud the depth of my sinfulness. A gruesome death like the one that Christ endured for me would only be required for one who is exceedingly sinful and unable to appease a holy God. Consequently, whenever I consider the necessity and manner of His death, along with the love and selflessness behind it behind it, I am laid bare and utterly exposed for the sinner I am. Such an awareness of my sinfulness does not drag me down, but actually serves to lift me up by magnifying my appreciation of God’s forgiveness of my sins, the more I love Him and delight to show Him love through heart-felt expressions of worship.” Milton Vincent, A Gospel Primer for Christians, p.33
2. Make it Personal!
-Schedule Check? We need to make time for them- allow for interruptions
1 Thessalonians 2:5-11 “You know we never used flattery, nor did we put on a mask to cover up greed—God is our witness. We were not looking for praise from men, not from you or anyone else. As apostles of Christ we could have been a burden to you, but we were gentle among you, like a mother caring for her little children. We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us. Surely you remember, brothers, our toil and hardship; we worked night and day in order not to be a burden to anyone while we preached the gospel of God to you. You are witnesses, and so is God, of how holy, righteous and blameless we were among you who believed. For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.”
-Playing Field? We need to rethink our playing field
Come & See vs. Go & Be- we forget this that we are to go & be
3. Encourage their growth in the Gospel!
– A growing connection with the Body of Christ!
- Expose them to the Body of Christ
- The mystical witness of the Spirit is intangible and only found in the body of Christ
- Get them involved in giving ourselves away to others
- Victor Frankl observed that those involved in service were healthiest. This makes sense because that’s how we were created.
- We have to anchor them into God’s Truth.
- This can happen at studies but it is better to dissect it in front of them.
- This only happens as we immerse ourselves in it.
- It’s the Word that brings transformation